Monday, May 22, 2006

THE COOK-OUT

Friday was the day.

We had been planning the cook-out for about three weeks. My very special class would be coming on a field trip to my house for a day of playing outside and picnicing in the shade. We had invited parents, siblings, school friends, anyone else who we thought would enjoy the fun. We were ready.

My special class consists of eight special needs students, three terrific paraprofessionals and myself. We have a lot of fun, yet sometimes trying times during the year. Field trips are not always easy to plan. We look for things that all of the children will enjoy; however, with vision impairments, orthopedic impairments, and other needs to consider, this is a difficult task. This cook-out and the activities had been carefully planned and we were hoping this trip would be different.

I was so excited to have four parents, one grandparent, five siblings and a step-parent to attend. Getting to visit outside of the walls of the school building is such a nice treat. I love my parents. These parents go through so much on a day to day basis that they deserve a treat. They need to be told on a regular basis what a good job they do taking care of these very special children. I've been told many times before,


God doesn't give special kids to just anybody.

And that is so true in these cases. I look at these children everyday and know that when they go home they are loved and hugged. What a blessing!!

I hope that all involved enjoyed the day as much as I did. The kids had a blast. You could see it on their faces. They work so hard all year, I am glad that we were able to give them an entire day of fun!

I sure will miss these students this summer. They almost feel like my own. In a little over two months, we'll be back together again. Ready to hit the 'ole grind stone. But, until then, I hope they enjoy the time they have to play and relax. They deserve the break.

Happy Summer to you all!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. You know what was especially cool about it? It felt like I had been there before. Casual and comfortable. Not to mention, completely kid proof! I mean, you can't just go anywhere and not worry about where your kids are....

...wellllll, unless you have a climbing Asher, who's dreams are bigger than his britches. Poor Mechelle! I hope she's not hurting from that fall!

Do it again, k?